I had my appt with my OB on Wednesday and asked him what the results of the placenta(s) said. He told me that the report came back Dichorionic & Diamniotic...I guess they first came back saying Monochorionic but then changed it saying that it was fused. So what this means is that there were two placentas (fused together due to lack of space) and two sacs (which I already knew). Most people will say that that means the girls are fraternal, but as I have researched and my doctor has said, it is still possible for them to be identical. It is all based on if one egg split and when it happened.
This is something that explains it better: DI/ DI means 2 placentas and 2 sacs. As safe as a twin pregnancy can be. In 20-30% of cases DI/DI twins are identical. The rest of the time they are fraternal. With identical twins, one egg (zygote) from the mother is fertilized by one sperm from the father, and then very early in development the embryo splits and two fetuses grow. If the zygote splits very early (in the first 2 days after fertilization) they may develop separate placentas (chorion) and separate sacs (amnion). These are called dichorionic, diamniotic (or 'di/di') twins. While all fraternal twins are 'di/di', this occurs 20 - 30% of the time in identical twins.
***I chat and stay connected on a twin site and have found a lot of the other moms of di/di twins find out they are identical, I know it is still hard to determine if they are identical by looking at them and with my girls they look so alike yet I tell them apart easily. Then someone posted an article by a doctor saying that he hated using the terms Identical and Fraternal because even Identical twins aren't always "identical", you can actually have identical twins with different hair color, different height, different eye color...ya crazy!...We are gonna just wait until all their growing slows down and see if they even look a like in the future...Although I'm still guessing ID! Since it seems to be more of a fluke thing and 2 eggs usually tends to be heretitary!
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
identical. i can tell them apart, barely.. but but only because of looking at all your pics. they look ay too much alike to be fraternal. theres always a DNA test if you really want to know though. i think they even have home tests that are relativly inexpensive. not that they are specificially designed to tell twins apart- but if the results came back the same you'd know. but yeah my guess is idental, also for the fluke v. hereditary reason. Either way they are total cuties... and I think Brody wants a playdate with them soon! ;)
ReplyDeleteAre we taking bets? At first I thought fraternal, now I think Identical even thou their hair is different shades.
ReplyDelete